Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Be real.

Be real.


Yesterday my car got new snow tires put on. What a great blessing! Apparently while the car was up on the lift, the mechanic found another problem that I was unaware of. The tie rod was in very rough shape. I had heard some odd noises while driving but didn't really think much of it. (My car makes many odd noises) However, I was told that my car was really unsafe to drive in the condition it was in. So I told the mechanic to go ahead and fix the problem.


After reflecting on this it made me think about how we so often look "pretty good" on the outside but inside our condition is sinful and there are things we have not given over to God so He can fix us. 

In the past, I have made attempts to "look" like a Christ follower. I would go to church most of the time, talk to the folks there and act happy and try to make them believe I was "good" with God. All the while, inside I was harboring secrets of what I have really been doing. I hoped they wouldn't find out that I was lying to them. I was convinced that my lifestyle was okay and honestly, I just didn't think about what God thought.
Inside, where not many people can see, I needed to be fixed. The things I had done would only be hidden for so long. I could only "look" like a Christian for so long until I grew weary of all the work that was involved in doing that. Either I would truly turn back to Christ or give myself over to all the ways of the world, stop going to church, and keep away from all the people I had to "act Christian" in front of. For a while I chose the latter and lived a separate life that few people knew anything about. I even went as far as to adjust the privacy settings on my facebook profile to hide the pictures and statuses that exposed my wild lifestyle from the Christian people in my life.

I was hiding the dangerous and "unsafe to drive" things in my life that could potentially lead to a life threatening accident while trying to appear "safe to drive" and secure in Christ.

2 Timothy 3:9 reads:
But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

Paul (the author of 2 Timothy) is referring to the Godlessness of people in the last days. So he is warning us to keep away from the folly (lack of good sense; foolishness; wicked or lewd behavior) of such people.

In my New International Version Study Bible there is a footnote explaining this scripture further.

It reads - We can hide our sin for a while, but eventually the truth will be revealed. Sooner or later, distraction, opposition, anger, or fatigue will wear us down, and our true hearts will be exposed. The trials of life will conspire against our efforts to maintain a religious front. We can't pick when and where we will be tested by adversity. Build your character carefully because it will come out under stress. Live each day as if your actions will one day be known to everyone. It is useless, in the middle of a test, to acknowledge that you should have prepared. Now is the time to change anything you wouldn't want revealed later.  (Emphasis added)

Let us not just say we are Christ followers and attempt to keep sin hidden while inside we know we are living in a way that is not pleasing to God. May we live in such a way that whether we are alone or in a crowd of people the claims we make mirror our true heart.

If you are struggling with something you know is not pleasing to God, be honest with Him. Talk to Him about it and ask Him to help you change that area of your life. He will help and forgive you.

There is no better day to begin a new, changed life than today. While people are making resolutions to change diets and exercise, choose to change your spiritual life. Though taking care of our bodies is also important, it is no where near as important as securing your eternal life.

1 Timothy 4:8:
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Psalm 94:17-19: Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love O Lord supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

God loves you, He is good and wants what's best for you. Invite Him into your life to change you. You will be surprised at how much more fulfilling your life will become.


                         "Let's begin the climb, up this holy mountain where Your Glory shines."


-Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment