Friday, January 17, 2014

Personal God

The beauty of the Lord is everywhere you look.

I have to admit that much of my time is spent dreaming of my eternal home. I look out the window into the sky and cannot begin to fathom the beauty of my King. He truly does captivate me. It's as if every sunrise, sunset, and starlit night sky is created just for me.

One of my most favorite attributes of God is how personal He is.
He knows us so well that He places things in our path that He knows we will take delight in, many times it's something we don't even realize we love so much.
Personally, I am convinced that every time I look at the sky He painted picture that is only for me. He knows how captured I am by the beauty of it all. The sun bursting above the trees in the evening and the bright colors draped across the sky. The stars flickering through the dark night and shining past the clouds. The contrast of a black bird flying across the soft blue sky without a worry. God cares for even the birds in the air.

Matthew 6:26 -

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

We are, indeed much more valuable to God than the birds or other animals, but He still cares for them.

Another way I know God is a personal God is the fact that He gave me my dog, Mama.
I met Mama when I went to Lakeshore, Mississippi. I had the amazing opportunity to do some work there after Hurricane Katrina.
Mama was a stray, wandering around the Lakeshore Baptist Church property.
When I first arrived to the property I saw her and loved her. God has placed in my heart a certain amount of compassion for animals and I am very thankful for that. He knows I love animals and He knew meeting Mama would change something in me.

Having Mama in my life is a tiny and personal way that God shows me His compassionate love. The way Mama looks at me as if I'm the most important human on the planet reflects the way God looks at me. I know He looks at me, loves me an unfathomable amount and that I am, indeed important to Him. He has not forgotten me and I know He has plans for my future.

It may seem odd to you the way I describe my dog and how I can feel a small amount of God's love because of her but that's what is so wonderful about God. The fact that He is so very personal and knows us so well!

God uses the smile of a newborn, a hug from a new friend, a snowflake on your nose, a shooting star, a bright red sunset, the view from the top of a mountain, a kiss from a child, or the love of a spouse to remind you of how much He deeply loves you.

God knows you so much more than you know yourself. He knows everything about you, all the deepest desires in your heart, all the pain or joy you're feeling. He knows what you want your future to be and He has the best plan in mind for you even though it may not be what you think it should be. All you need to do is trust Him completely. Admit that you've been doing things wrong, you've been trying to find your own happiness and have always come up empty. Tell Him you want Him to lead you to where He wants you to be. Give your life to Him and everything will change. The sky will look bluer, the stars will seem to twinkle more. You may see clouds but you will know there is light behind them and it will always burst past the dark to bring you joy. Rest in Christ's love. He wants to know you personally and show you His beauty and love in ways that only you will recognize. 

Psalm 36:5 - 
Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.

Psalm 62:5 -
Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.

Psalm 66:20 -
Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!








My God loves me. And He loves you too! He wants to show you in a deep personal way, just invite Him into your life and He will!

-Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment