Thursday, January 30, 2014

Merciful

Thanks be to God for His unending mercy.

My cat, Kitty is 16 years old. She has had a long and wonderful life and has brought my family and I many laughs and a lot of joy. Through her years as a member of the Rose family there have been many memories made that I will hold tight to after she's gone.

The last couple months her health has been failing. She's gone completely blind and can no longer get around the way she used to. She has stopped eating and drinking and if she's not set in one place or on my lap she walks in circles, very lost and confused about her surroundings. It's so, so sad to see her like this. I know she's not in pain. When I hold her close she purrs and falls asleep. Last night I slept with her cuddled on my lap. Though I often awoke just to look at her and make sure she was comfortable I also spent time thanking God for the joy she has brought me. I trust that He is keeping her comfortable and in no pain.
After learning about the way God made our human bodies to naturally shut down I am comforted to know that Kitty is in the same place now.
It is sad to watch her, hard to hold her frail body, and it hurts to think of life without her around. Hissing at Zoe or punching Nerman when he gets too close. She's given us a lot of laughs there is no doubt about that.

Some of you may think I'm crazy for caring this much about an animal but I am fully convinced that God has placed a special compassion in my heart for animals. Yet another way I know He is a personal God.

As I watch her now, walking in circles and bumping into things, tears well in my eyes. She has been a part of my life for 16 years. I can still remember when I first adopted her from a local farm. I had my heart set on calling the cat I adopted Oliver, but after finding out she was a female....well I guess I ran out of ideas and just called her Kitty. Not at all original but that's how I've known her for 16 years. That's how we've all known her.
I recall when she was younger she would wander outside all day but at night I wouldn't go to bed until she came back inside. She rarely, if ever, wanted to be held. In fact, the truth is, she hated to be held. She would growl and sometimes even hiss if too much time went by while she was in my arms. That was all apart of her character, what made her special and funny. She is unlike any other cat I've known and sometimes I would get frustrated at her lack of cuddle-ability. But, oh, the laughs and smiles she has brought me and my family.

I chuckle at the fact that the only time she would really want attention is when she wanted someone to fill her food bowl. Otherwise, a short pat on the head is all she allowed. Pet her too much and she would growl and run away. Back up to "Helm's Deep" as my dad labeled my bedroom where Kitty would often reside for hours.

I also have to remember briefly the time we brought her camping with us. I don't remember exactly how old I was but I do remember that after we parked our camping trailer in it's proper place, we realized two rottweiler dogs were camping right beside us. Kitty was far from happy, though to this day we joke about how much she loved that camping trip. She spent the whole weekend on my bed staring out the window at the huge dogs next door.

God has blessed me with wonderful memories to hold on to, and though some may not understand it, I will always love Kitty as a member of my family. She's not just a pet, an animal to be thrown out in the cold, she has been family to me. Again I say, God knows me so well and knows how much I love animals so I know He gave Kitty to me to enjoy the companionship she has given me. Even through the hissing and growling.

She has not passed on yet, but I am preparing for it soon. I know God is merciful, even to animals. Even to Kitty. He knows my heart and the love I have for Kitty and knows it would hurt even more for me to see her suffering. I trust that He will keep her comfortable until her life is no more.
There is a big part of me that hopes animals will be in Heaven, but I'm not so sure as I realize they do not have souls like human beings. Either way, however, I have enjoyed Kitty in this life and will always be thankful to God for His love for me and for the animals. After all, He created them and He loves His creation.

Genesis 8:1-
But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded.

Jonah 4:11-
And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

I am well aware that we as humans are more valuable than animals to God but He does indeed still care for the animals and all of His creation. Therefore, we need to do the same.
Also, since He does care for us, He knows what breaks our hearts. He has made me to have a different kind of compassion on animals than that of many other people I know. Though I've struggled with that in the past, I've even been told "You are a sinner because you don't eat meat." I know this to be false, I am a sinner because of many other reasons but God has made me this way and I give Him praise for making me the unique way He wanted me to be.

Romans 14:3-
 
The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.

Colossians 2:16-
 
[ Freedom From Human Rules ] Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Romans 14:20-

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

Anyway, my point in all of this is not to defend my feelings toward animals. I know what God has shown me and I trust and believe that He has given me the appropriate perspective concerning animals.

My point in this post is to thank Him for His wonderful mercy and love for me and for Kitty.

He is a good God, always, He is always good. I am more than joyful for what He has done for me and excited about what He will do. He is a wonderful King.

He is merciful in every situation. He sees you and loves you. You can trust Him, He has a plan for you and wants to show you how merciful He is. He will bring you so much joy, so much unending, unspeakable joy.

Thank You King Jesus.




"To the broken and weary, Heaven is reaching. He's there, He's there. Though you can't see it. Take heart, believe it. He's there, He's there."

We are never alone.


-Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment